Building essential skills and independence
Our Primary Services are the first line of support for our clients. These services help individuals achieve primary, short-term independence goals like learning to cook safely after a loss of vision or travelling independently with a white cane.
How it works
After an individual is referred to us for support, they're matched with a client navigator[SS1] . The client navigator reaches out to the individual and conducts an intake assessment, learning more about their vision loss, their needs, and their personal goals. Together, they create a rehabilitation plan, which starts with Primary Services to work on independence goals that can be achieved in a relatively short amount of time (around three months, depending on the individual) and are fundamental to the individual's safety and independence.
These short-term goals may include things like:
- Learning how to cook a meal and use a stove safely
- Being able to take medication independently and safely
- Being able to navigate the home without risk of falls or injuries
Primary Services provided to achieve these goals may include:
- Low Vision Services: Our low vision specialists teach techniques for maximizing remaining vision and provide one-on-one instruction in the use of helpful devices that may enhance the client's sight, like specialty magnifiers.
- Independent Living Services: Our independent living skills (ILS) specialists teach clients safe methods of preparing meals and using household appliances; as well as techniques for organization/identifying items around the home.
- Orientation and Mobility Services: Our orientation and mobility (O&M) specialists teach clients how to navigate independently at home, as well as basic travel skills that can improve mobility in all environments.
Primary Services are delivered through a blended approach of in-person sessions with our specialists, as well as virtual sessions wherein the client and the specialist talk over the phone, or through an online platform like Zoom. Generally, these services conclude after around 10 sessions or three months, depending on the individual.
[SS1]Link to "Client Navigation" page
[SS2]link to "Specialized Services" page