ON, Peterborough - Specialist, Low Vision
Do you want to work for a health care organization that changes people's lives? One that not only cares deeply about clients, but also values that its employees are its greatest asset?
Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada is a unique health services organization that serves people who are blind or partially sighted across the country. Our certified specialists provide training that empowers clients to develop or to restore activities of daily living skills, to promote their independence, to enhance safety and mobility. We work closely with ophthalmologists, optometrists and other health care professionals, by providing essential care on a referral basis in homes, workplaces and communities across the country.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, flexible schedules, and opportunities to grow.
For more information about Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada, please visit visionlossrehab.ca or call 1-844-887-8572 .
Date: August 23, 2021
Job Title: Specialist, Low Vision
Term: Full time, permanent
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Salary: $24.73 - $27.04
Enable individuals living with vision loss to improve functional use of remaining vision. Provides instruction and guidance in compensatory low vision strategies, equipment and assistive technology.
- Conducts functional low vision assessments.
- Teaches individuals with partial sight how to maximize residual vision.
- Recommends and trains in the use of optical and non-optical aids.
- Educates individuals about their eye condition and vision health.
- Refers individuals to other internal and external services.
- Handles public inquiries regarding vision health and low vision services
- Conducts research on new optical aids, adaptive equipment, and new findings in the eye care field. Attends professional development training and conferences as required.
- Delivers public speaking seminars and workshops on low vision services and related topics to community agencies/groups and health care professionals.
- Interprets medical information.
- Performs administrative duties, including, but not limited to, data input, documentation of assessments/client contact, and applicable subsidy program(s) as appropriate.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Demonstrated knowledge of ocular anatomy, physiology, pathology, and low vision rehabilitation including optical and non-optical aids, visual skills and adaptive technology, blindness, and deaf-blindness and the psychosocial aspects of vision loss.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate various size groups.
- Knowledgeable about disabilities and all life stages (children to seniors)
- Demonstrated decision making and professional judgement.
- Mature and professional attitude
- Self-directed, organized, and excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated individual centred approach and commitment.
Experience and Education:
- All personnel hired to provide low vision services must meet the requirements of the VLRO National Vision Rehabilitation (Low Vision Specialist) Training Program.
- Graduate of University of Montreal Masters Program is an asset.
- Must be graduates from a post secondary institution with a major in health care or vision; ACVREP Certified Low Vision Therapists, COC, AOC, or equivalent Certified Orthoptists, and JCAHPO certified allied health personnel in ophthalmology.
- Eligible for ACVREP certification.
- High level of competency in relevant computer applications
- Excellent verbal, written and math skills
- French language skills are an asset.
Please Send the Application To: email@example.com and
quote the job title in the subject line.
Please send cover letter and resume and mention how you learned of this position.
VLRC strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. VLRC is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with VLRC.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, VLRC is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and VLRC will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in VLRC, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline to apply: Sept. 3 , 2021.